A bulkhead is an upright wall within a ship:
- The hab core decks are divided into compartments.
- Bays outside the hab core may be armored by bulkheads.
A bulkhead serves the following purposes:
- It increases the structural rigidity of the vessel in support of the spaceframe.
- It creates airtight compartments that can contain air in the case of a secondary hull breach to minimise damage to life support.
- It can contain explosions to minimise damage to other locations on the same deck, especially by penetrator missiles.
- It provides shielding to hinder communication by hostile boarders without access to the shipnet.
- It provides additional radiation shielding in the event of a secondary hull breach ensuring that an entire deck is not compromised.