Gretchen Elisabeth Anderssen
Gretchen is the sun that rises in the East, bright and full of hope, inexperienced but seeking to learn of the world, her raiment fresh. Though this is a traditionally male role, here the depiction is reversed. For her, Green Hummingbird is emblematic of the whole Imperial system holding down the conquered nations and stifling science, learning and exploration.
- Imperial Citizen. Registered as a third-generation resident on New Aberdeen colony.
- Family home is in the high timber near Dumfries.
- Of macehualli status: descended from a Swedish-Russian family from Old Stockholm.
- Daughter of Jean, granddaughter of Elizabeth and Carl. Her grandmother’s father was a commander in the Swedish-Russian Royal Navy in the Last War and was killed in action off Titan.
- Her mother has an account with the Riksbank.
- Of middling height, short blonde hair. Described by colleagues as cheerful and pleasant to be around.
- Married, with children: two girls and one boy named Isabelle, Tristan and Duncan. Husband is absent and may be an intinerant, unregistered musician.
- Her personal logo on computer systems is a rabbit ear glyph.
- Carries a medband, a comm-band, a locator band, an Ericsson ‘scope, work goggles, an octopus interface unit for her field comp handheld computer, a sampler, a sonosound resonator, an eyeball camera , a cutting tool and a battered multitool that once belonged to her grandfather Carl. Her field comp carries a number of xenoarchaeology applications. She lost her sleepbag, mealheater and other equipment on Ephesus III.
- Wears a field jacket. Owns a z-suit and is experienced in using a rebreather.
- Boots are of realcow leather, bought for her by her mother.
- Associated persons:
- Political affiliations – none.
- Present on the Imperial Protectorate of Bharat Four during the darmanarga moktar rebellion.
- Attended a calpulli school at Kinlochewe.
- As a student of New Aberdeen University worked on excavations on Old Earth:
- Excavation of the Danish Empire 18th Century Il Dioptre observatory on Crete.
- Excavation of a late Khemer cemetery midden where she recovered a Tcho-Tcho pot.
- Anderssen was lectured by the Honorable Doctor Kelly who attended her graduate research seminar.
- Anderssen was lectured by Professor Griffiths of the comparative languages department.
- Her first field instructor was killed in unusual circumstances on Go-Long.
- Graduated from New Aberdeen University with a Doctorate in Xenoarchaeology.
- Declined the offer of a post-Doctorate post at Ney Arkham Institute.
- Joined the Honorable Chartered Company as a forensic xenoarchaeologist Company employee number 337G4, earning 119 quills a day.
- Worked on the Polaris dig on Old Mars for Director Huicton, one of Professor Der Sú’s ex-graduate students, whilst living in Dome 6 for sixteen months, recovering the wreckage of a crashed alien spacecraft. This operation was under military supervision. Subsequently she recovered pottery fragments on Old Mars dating to the Old High Martian Period III five thousand years ago. An accident with an ultrasonic cleaning tool resulted in scarring to her left hand.
- Worked on the Ugarit excavation.
- Worked on excavations on Zhendai.
- Whilst en route to Kolob Four from the Jupiter Yards to replace Doctor Fearing she was unexpectedly placed in command of the Company's relief mission to Ephesus III at Ctesiphon Station. Members of the recovery team: Bandao, Magdalena and Parker. The recovery team were transported by the IMN Cornuelle. At this time Doctor Anderssen had worked for the Company for three years. Anderssen was selected because of her prior experience in a similar environment on Old Mars.
- Report to the Company on the Ephesus III expedition:
- One Temple-class starship gutted.
- One fully equipped base abandoned including several Armadillo carryalls.
- Two Midge-class ultra-lights destroyed, two Komodo-class shuttles damaged.
- Ten Company employees killed in the line of duty.
- Artifacts recovered - none.
- Follow-up opportunities – none; Ephesus System sealed by Imperial Edict. All data sealed by order of the tlachialoni.
- On Ephesus III she was taught certain tlamatinime disciplines by Green Hummingbird and was later treated with memorywipe drugs to forget incidents on Ephesus III.
- Provided Company-sponsored expert advice at a criminal trial in Hofukai on Shimanjin. Whilst on planet some of her tlamatinime training began to resurface.
- At Tadmor Station her team was instructed to cancel vacation plans and redirect to Bharat Four, planet Jagan.
- On Jagan she encountered a Jehanan named Malakar and learnt of the origin of the Jehanan. Doctor Anderssen identified a First Sun device, the kalpataru in the House of Reeds, and destroyed it before it could be activated, coinciding with the height of the Flowery War and attendant rebellion. Close proximity to the device affected her consciousness, reawaking her tlamatinime abilities. After witnessing the Nēmnahan ceremony at Chumene she started to channel ancient Jehanan songs and poetry including the epic verse Húnd and the Diamond Eye.
- Report to the Company on the Jagan expedition:
- One Company employee severely injured in the line of duty.
- Artifacts recovered – none – First Sun device destroyed.
- Follow-up opportunities – none.
- Resigned from the Company and returned to New Aberdeen via Coromandel Station.
- Employed at Dumfries Technical College as an administrator.